Grand Lamb Cookoff
Enter your favorite lamb recipe in the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival’s Grand Lamb Cook-Off.
Adults – 16 +
Youth – 8 to 15
- A minimum of 1 lb. of any cut of American Lamb must be used. Ground lamb, steaks, and leg cuts are among those permissible. Techniques may include but are not limited to grilling, sautéing, broiling, roasting, stewing, and casseroles.
- All entries will be judged on taste (60 points), ease of preparation (30 points) and appearance (10 points) for a total of 100 points.
- Prior to the cook-off, 6 adults and 6 youth will be selected from the entries received. These finalists will be invited to prepare recipes for the judges at the Festival on Saturday, May 6, 2017.
- Contestants must furnish their own cooking equipment, utensils and serving materials. Permissible are portable electric and butane burners, electric skillets and soup pots, and portable convection/toaster ovens. There are no ranges/stoves at the festival. If weather permits you can use an outdoor grill (charcoal or gas). Parents must stay with youth contestants if using an outdoor grill.
- Contestants will have a staggered judging time; you can start your lamb dish any time prior to your judging time. Contestants may have the prepping (cutting and marinating) completed at home. The cooking will be done at the contest.
- Each contestant will present the lamb dish to the judges, no side dishes allowed.
- There will be three judges; no samples will be handed out to the public.
- Entries must be received no later than April 10, 2017.
On the basis of the judges’ decisions, prize money will be awarded as follows:
Adults: 1st $100.00; 2nd $75.00; 3rd $50.00
Youth: 1st $100.00; 2nd $75.00; 3rd $50.00
All prizes provided by the Maryland Sheep Breeders Association, Inc.
How to Enter
- Email your recipe to by April 10, 2017.
- List all ingredients in order used, no brand names if possible.
- List preparation, exact cooking instructions and the amount of time to prepare and cook.
- Include your name, address, home phone, email address and the name of your recipe.
All entries become the property of the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival and the Maryland Sheep Breeders Association, Inc. Recipes will not be returned and may be reproduced for the distribution in the Festival and MSBA press releases and other promotional material.
Maryland Grand Lamb Cook-Off Chairperson:
Chef Richard Douville
9029 Lambskin Lane
Columbia, MD 21045
Phone: 410-206-9991 or 410-997-7307. Please leave voicemail messages.