Maryland Lamb and Wool Queen Contest
The 2017 Maryland Lamb & Wool Queen and Princesses will be chosen at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. These young ladies will represent the Maryland Sheep Breeders Association and help to promote sheep and wool during the following year.
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 18 inclusive
- Must be active in some area of sheep or wool production: purebreds, commercial, 4-H or FFA project, spinning, etc.
- Must be a resident of the state of Maryland
- Participate actively at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival
- Attend and help with the county fairs, Maryland State Fair, and the Eastern National Livestock Show
- Assist with the Maryland State Fair’s Lead Class
- Give a report of activities at the Maryland Sheep Breeders annual banquet in October
- Promote Lamb and Wool in a variety of other ways: 4-H clubs, Ag Week displays, etc.
- Assist with the 2018 Maryland Lamb & Wool Queen Contest
Criteria for Selection
- Poise and ease of contestant
- Apparent zest or stage presence of contestant
- Previous background and activities with sheep and wool
- Knowledge of the sheep and wool industry
- Public speaking ability
Gifts will be awarded to all contestants.
The Queen will receive a cash award of $100 from the Festival and slippers from H. Trawitz & Sons.
The Princesses will each receive a cash award of $50.
How to Enter
If you are interested or know of someone who is interested in being a contestant, call, write, or email for an entry form: Barbara Mullen, 10634 Old Frederick Road, Thurmont, MD 21788, 301-898-7796, .
Entries must be received by April 21, 2017.