New and Noteworthy for 2023
- New admission fee – $10 per person per day 18 and older. Under 18 is still free. As we recover from three years of pandemic-related losses, and face steep increases in the costs of goods and services required to put on the Festival, we find we have no choice but to raise our admission fee if we want the Festival to remain sustainable for another 50 years. With free parking and free admission for everyone under the age of 18, even at $10 we feel we are still one of the best values around, and we hope that you do too.
- Visit our 50th Anniversary Museum in the 4-H Hall and view our collection of catalogs, posters, t-shirts, and other memorabilia from the past 50 years. We will also have photographs, scrapbooks, and other archival materials on display. There will also be a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at the Main Gate, and the official Opening Ceremony will be on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. in the rear of Main Exhibition Annex.
- Featured Breed for 2023-Jacob. Learn about them in the Breed Display Barn (Barn 7-8 on the map).
- See Antique Shearing Equipment from the late 19th century and 20th century on display in the Home Arts Building.
- Free Shepherd Seminars on Saturday in the Dining Hall.
- Learn why developing regional fiber systems that build soil and protect the health of our biosphere is important to us all, what fibershed projects are happening in our region, and how you can participate in the sustainable fiber movement in “Embracing your Fibershed”, a free Fiber Arts lecture presented by the Chesapeake Fibershed on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. in the rear of the Main Exhibition Annex.
- Special guests Njörðr’s Wanderers will be joining us again. Visit them near the Sheepdog Demonstrations to see a typical seasonal trading camp from the years 800-1000, complete with merchant’s booths and tents. There will be ongoing demonstrations of various crafts, including wood, metal, leather, and textile work.
- New location for 2023 – The Authors’ Tent is moving indoors. It will now be called the Meet the Author booth and will be located in the Main Exhibition Annex.
- Don’t forget, we now have picnic tables in the Rabbit Barn in case you need to stop and rest!