Sheep Promotion Competition
Formerly known as the Sheep Poster Competition, this competition has been expanded to include electronic formats. It allows contestants age 18 and under to enter presentations on the subjects of breed promotion, wool promotion, meat promotion, and fair or festival sheep showmanship/promotion.
Classes and Divisions
- Class 1: Breed promotion
- Class 2: Wool promotion
- Class 3: Meat promotion
- Class 4: Fair or festival sheep showmanship/promotion
Each competitor is limited to one entry per class.
All classes will be judged in four age divisions (based on age as of January 1):
- Mini – 7 years old and under
- Junior – 8 to 10 years old
- Intermediate – 11 to 13 years old
- Senior – 14 to 18 years old
Entries will be judged on:
- Idea expressed
- Information given
- Graphic design and appeal
Here are some helpful hints for creating your presentation.
- The premiums for each class are as follows:
- 1st – $5
- 2nd – $3
- 3rd – $2
- Ribbons and rosettes will be awarded in all classes.
- Honorable Mention will be awarded in each class/division.
- An overall winner in each age group will be determined.
- The Best Maryland Entry will be awarded a prize of $5.
Prize money and ribbons/rosettes may be picked up at the Sheep Promotion display in the Main Exhibition Annex during the hours the Festival is open. Any awards not picked up will be mailed (within the contiguous US) after the Festival.
- Contestants may create physical posters or electronic presentations. Physical posters may be designed in any medium.
- All entries must be submitted in electronic format. Physical posters must be photographed or scanned to a .jpg file. Electronic presentations may be in the form of a PowerPoint presentation OR Google Slides presentation OR .jpg files (one per page) from another presentation software application. (Here is an example of a Google Slides presentation.)
- For younger contestants, it’s OK if a parent does the photographing/scanning/cropping (when applicable) and submits the entry form. Parents must not make any changes to electronic presentations.
- A presentation (whether done as physical posters or electronic slides) may consist of multiple pages/slides. The number of pages/slides is limited as follows: Mini – one page/slide only, Junior – up to two pages/slides, Intermediate – up to three pages/slides, and Senior – up to four pages/slides.
- All entries will be displayed on a computer screen, for both judging and possible subsequent display on the Festival website. The entries may also be projected at a larger size during the Festival. Therefore, keep to a rectangular landscape format and make sure that all lettering is large and clear enough to be read. An image that is at least 2,000 pixels wide will display best.
- All entries must have been completed since the 2022 Festival.
- Use of copyrighted characters prohibited.
- Contestant’s name may not appear in the presentation.
How to Enter
All entries will be made using the online entry form at https://sheepandwool.wufoo.com/forms/2023-sheep-promotion-competition-entry-form/.
Entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Saturday, April 29, 2023.