Maryland Shepherds Cup
The purpose of this award is to recognize consistent excellence in the production of handspinning fleeces by wool producers in Maryland. The winner will be judged to have entered the best set of five handspinning fleeces from an individual Maryland shepherd. The Maryland Shepherds Cup is offered in remembrance of Mary Ann Jackson, shepherd at Spinning Flock Farm. Mary Ann was a long-time supporter and active member of the Festival Committee and MSBA. As well as being named 2006 Maryland Shepherd of the Year with her husband Ed, MaryAnn initiated the fiber arts and shepherd workshops at the Festival, taught innumerable beginning spinners and weavers, and was a tireless supporter of textile arts.
The award will include a perpetual trophy inscribed with the name of each year’s winner plus a $100 prize.
Guidelines for Entering
- Maryland shepherds will designate five handspinning fleeces that best represent their flock and breeding program goals. The fleeces must be from sheep belonging to the shepherd entering them and the farm must be in Maryland.
- All five fleeces must also be individually entered in the appropriate Division and Class for Show and Sale.
- Check appropriate box on entry form to be included in MD Shepherd’s Cup competition.
- The Entry must be accompanied by a brief paragraph (no more than 80 words) describing the goals of the shepherd/producer that are represented by their five selected fleeces. This is to acknowledge that different shepherds may have different goals. Examples might include: Perfectly matched fleeces (in color, character, quality); specific breed character; natural colors; or variety of fleece types, etc.
- Only one entry (of 5 fleeces) for the Shepherds Cup per individual shepherd’s flock.