Fleece Show & Sale
The Fleece Show & Sale has been a mainstay of the Festival since the very beginning over 40 years ago, and has become the fleece show of choice for handspinners of every kind from all over the country. Producers from as many as 19 states plus Canada bring their best fleeces here for competition and sale. There is something for everyone and a fleece to fit every budget. Knowledgeable and helpful volunteers are on hand to help you with any questions or difficult decisions!
New This Year
Increase in entry fees: Sale Only is now $4.00 per fleece; Show & Sale is now $7.00 per fleece.
- NO LATE ENTRIES will be accepted. All fleeces must be pre-registered and entry forms RECEIVED by NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26, 2017. No new entries the day of fleece delivery. Changes to entry information (including weights) will continue to incur a $1.00 fee per fleece.
Fleece Entry Options
- Fleeces entered in competition and consigned for sale (show & sale)
- Fleeces consigned for sale but not in competition (sale only)
Fleeces must be from the current (2016-2017) wool clip and represent no more than 15 months growth. Each fleece must be skirted to ensure it is clean, dry, free of contaminants (e.g., vegetative matter (VM), chaff, burrs, manure tags & second cuts, etc.). Minimum staple length of 2.5 inches is strongly recommended (3 inches and above is preferred by most hand-spinners). Each fleece must be in a clear, unmarked plastic bag that can be easily opened.
The Committee reserves the right to reject any fleeces not meeting standards (e.g., excessive dirt or VM, cotted, wet or moldy fleeces, fleeces with active lice, excessively short fleeces, etc.), and to re-weigh fleeces if entered weights are questionable. Entry fees will not be refunded for rejected fleeces.
Fees and Commissions
Entry fees are: $4 per fleece consigned for Sale Only, and $7 per fleece consigned for both Show & Sale. Entries that require changes at time of delivery will incur an additional $1 fee per fleece. The MSBA commission on all fleeces will be 10% for MSBA members (current as of April 1, 2017) and 20% for non-members. If you wish to join MSBA (or update your membership), download the MSBA Membership Form.
The sale price of all fleeces will be set by the producers. Producers are urged to be reasonable in the prices they set. A summary including the price ranges for different breeds and categories of fleeces entered last year will available on this page shortly, and may provide useful guidance.
It is the policy of the Festival to be a broker to make quality fleeces of all kinds available to spinners and other fiber artists and to provide a market for the producers. Producers are urged to be selective in the fleeces they enter. Producers are responsible for the accuracy of their entry forms.
- Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Fleeces accepted
- Friday, 4:30 p.m. – Show fleeces judged
- Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – Fleeces for sale
- Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Silent auction for Special Award fleeces
- Saturday, 1:00 p.m. – Show fleece placings discussed by judges
- Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Fleeces for sale
- Sunday, 3:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. – Producers pick-up unsold fleeces
Special Award fleeces (see listing below) will be sold by Silent Auction and must remain on display until 3:30 p.m. Saturday. After 6:00 p.m. Sunday, any unclaimed fleeces become the property of MSBA.
MSBA will make every effort to display and care for the entered fleeces, but assumes no responsibility for damaged, lost, or stolen fleeces.
Divisions and Classes
A maximum of seven (7) fleeces per producer may be entered. The same fleece may not be entered in more than one class or division.
Division I – Natural Colored Fleeces
Division II – White Fleeces
All fleeces in Divisions I and II will be judged on suitability for handspinning.
Divisions I & II will each have classes A, B, C and D.
A. Fine: Spinning Count 64s to 80s (17-22 microns) (e.g., Cormo, Merino, Rambouillet, etc.)
B. Medium: Spinning Count 50s to 62s (22-31 microns) (e.g., Cheviot, Columbia, Corriedale, Dorset, Montadale, Tunis)
C. Long: Spinning Count 36s to 48s (31-40+ microns) (e.g.. Border Leicester, Coopworth, Cotswold, Lincoln, Romney, Wensleydale, etc.)
D. Double-Coated: (e.g., Icelandic, Karakul, Navajo-Churro, Scottish Blackface, Shetland,etc.)
Premiums for each class: 1st – $20 2nd – $15 3rd – $12 4th – $10
Division III – Breed Class Fleeces
(Breed-specific competition fleeces only – no sale-only fleeces)
Judging will be based on breed standards as well as suitability for handspinning.
Premiums for each class: 1st – $20 2nd – $15
Breed Classes limited to: Bluefaced Leicester, Border Leicester, Coopworth, Cormo, Corriedale, Cotswold, Finnsheep, Gotland, Jacob, Karakul, Leicester Longwool, Lincoln, Merino, Montadale, Rambouillet, Romeldale, Romney, Shetland.
Special Fleece Show Awards
- Champion Fleece, each Division* – $50 and Rosette
- Grand Champion Fleece* – $100 and Rosette
- The Pat Brown Memorial Award: Best Maryland Fleece* – $25 & Cup
- The Tyson Creamer Memorial Award: Best 4-H Fleece – $25
- The Jane Hyland Memorial Award: Best Handspinning Natural Colored Fleece* – $50
- The Jane Hyland Memorial Award: Best Handspinning White Fleece* – $50
- Hopping Acres Award: Best Leicester Longwool Natural Colored Fleece – $25
- Willow Brook Farm Award: Best Leicester Longwool White Fleece – $25
- Best Uncovered Fleece – $25
- American Romney Breeders Association Award: Best White Romney Breed Class Fleece – $25
- American Romney Breeders Association Award: Best Natural Colored Romney Breed Class Fleece – $25
*These Special Fleece Show Award winners will be available for purchase by Silent Auction from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Starting price will be the producer’s asking price. Bidding will close at 3:00 p.m. Saturday. Pick-up and purchase will be after 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Lee Langstaff (co-chair), 24020 Old Hundred Road, Dickerson, MD 20842, 301-908-9332, or .