Lead Line Contest
The Lead Line Contest is a contest to show the relationship between the shepherd and the wool products made from sheep (clothing products). The competitor leads a young sheep (ewe or wether) around the ring while wearing an outfit made from wool, either sewn, knitted, or crocheted. The contestant is judged on the handling of the sheep, as well as the outfit.
- Classes: Junior ages 5-8
Intermediate ages 9-12
Senior ages 13-18
Adult 19 years & over
- Contestant’s outfit must be at least 80% wool.
- Contestants must halter train a ewe lamb, yearling ewe, or a wether lamb. No rams allowed.
- The sheep does not have to be owned by the competitor.
- All sheep entered must be accompanied by a veterinary certification of health. See Animal Health Regulations. No pens are allocated specifically for entries.
- Judging will be based on:
Wool Outfit – 60 points
50 pts – color, fit and style appropriate to wearer
10 pts – some or all work done by exhibitor
Sheep’s Fleece – 20 points
10 pts – general appearance
10 pts – fitted to breed requirements
Poise and Control – 20 points
10 pts – poise of contestant
10 pts – control of the animal
Total – 100 points
Premiums in each class are:
1st $50 2nd $40 3rd $30 4th $20
How to Enter
To register for the Lead Line Contest, send your name, address and phone number, the class you are entering, a description of your outfit, and information about the sheep (including ownership) to:
10634 Old Frederick Rd.
Thurmont, MD 21788
or email: .
Register by April 13, 2017.