Maryland Sheep & Wool Ambassador Competition
Updated for 2024
The 2024 Maryland Sheep & Wool Ambassador will be chosen at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. The person selected to serve will represent the Maryland Sheep Breeders Association and help to promote sheep and wool during the following year. The competition is open to all genders. Three Reserve Ambassadors will also be chosen. In the event that the Ambassador is not able to fulfill their obligations, a Reserve Ambassador will serve as substitute.
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 18 inclusive (based on age as of January 1).
- Must be active in some area of sheep or wool production: purebreds, commercial, 4-H or FFA project, spinning, etc.
- Must be a resident of the state of Maryland.
- Participate actively at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival.
- Attend and help with sheep shows at the county fairs throughout the state (list of events will be provided).
- Attend and help with Open Sheep Shows during the Maryland State Fair.
- Give a report of activities at the Maryland Sheep Breeders annual banquet in October.
- Promote lamb and wool in a variety of other ways: 4-H clubs, Ag Week displays, Taste of Maryland Agricultural Dinner in February, etc.
- Assist with the 2025 Maryland Sheep & Wool Ambassador Competition.
Criteria for Selection
- Poise and ease of contestant
- Apparent zest or stage presence of contestant
- Previous background and activities with sheep and wool
- Knowledge of the sheep and wool industry
- Public speaking ability
Gifts will be awarded to all contestants.
The Ambassador will receive a cash award of $100 from the Festival, slippers from H. Trawitz & Sons, and a wool fabric sash sponsored by Brittany Lippy.
The Reserve Ambassadors will each receive a a cash award of $50.
How to Enter
Submit your application via the online entry form (link will be added as soon as it is ready).
Entries must be received by April 21, 2024.