Maryland Sheep and Wool Ambassador Competition
The 2020 Maryland Sheep & Wool Ambassador will be chosen at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. The person selected to serve will represent the Maryland Sheep Breeders Association and help to promote sheep and wool during the following year. The competition is open to both males and females. Three Reserve Ambassadors will also be chosen. In the event that the Ambassador is not able to fulfill his/her obligations, a Reserve Ambassador will serve as substitute.
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 18 inclusive
- Must be active in some area of sheep or wool production: purebreds,
commercial, 4-H or FFA project, spinning, etc.
- Must be a resident of the state of Maryland
- Participate actively at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival
- Attend and help with sheep shows at the county fairs and the Maryland State Fair
- Assist with the Maryland State Fair’s Lead Class
- Give a report of activities at the Maryland Sheep Breeders annual banquet in October
- Promote lamb and wool in a variety of other ways: 4-H clubs, Ag Week
- Assist with the 2021 Maryland Sheep & Wool Ambassador Competition
Criteria for Selection
- Poise and ease of contestant
- Apparent zest or stage presence of contestant
- Previous background and activities with sheep and wool
- Knowledge of the sheep and wool industry
- Public speaking ability
Gifts will be awarded to all contestants.
The Ambassador will receive a cash award of $100 from the Festival and slippers from H. Trawitz & Sons.
The Reserve Ambassadors will each receive a cash award of $50.
How to Enter
Entries must be received by April 21, 2020.